Saturday, January 26, 2013

Some relaxing knitting

In a previous post (Some cover “fire”) I wrote about knitting covers for some ugly boxes I had around the fireplace. Well it was so easy I decided to make a few more…since I have more than one of these ugly firelighter boxes laying around.

I felt like making some that weren’t so seasonal, like the last one…Christmas/winter. I went searching for a little inspiration online, but couldn’t find any that “hit the spot”. So back to the drawing board.

What would look good as a box cover and could be on display year round?
A brainstorming session left me with…some patterns more popular than others these days
- the ever so popular Marius pattern
- chevrons
- butterflies
- hearts
- stars

Without any patterns to follow, I did as I’ve done before made my own….almost. I went searching online for some patterns for the patterns I felt like knitting. No use inventing the wheel again…when most likely someone has already made the patterns and posted them online somewhere. And my oh my… I found both stars and a butterfly I really liked!

For the butterfly, go here
For the stars I used, go here

I used the knitting pattern by Majas hobbykrok as a starting point for my own pattern and adapted it to the patterns I wanted to incorporate. I used some yarn I had laying around from past projects. Contact me if you want a copy of the patterns I used for the boxes below. I’m happy to share…just haven’t posted them here as they are not “professional” patterns.

IMG_3292and the result…

Now if only I could knit a little looser. My butterfly turned out a little wonky because I knitted it too tight. Well well at least I finished them…Now all the firelighter boxes in CasaR has a cover. Sitting here and wondering if I should make a few more…makes great homemade gifts … and never hurts to have a few knitted in other colors/patterns in case I feel like redecorating.

The cover with the stars has a very “home and cottage” feel…very fitting next to our fire wood rack. Love the combination of the light brown and off-white yarn. As for the butterfly cover…made a simple border for fleur de lis at both the top and bottom so the butterfly wouldn’t look so lonely. Like how they both turned out.

New knitting method you say?
While searching for the stars knitting pattern I came across “reversible knitting”. This scarf by Crafty Crafty looks great! Having no idea where to even start I looked for a video tutorial. I came across this one. Doesn’t look too hard Smile with tongue out Maybe my next project? (need to do some more research before trying out this knitting method)

- How have you spent your Saturday?

…well off to relax some more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...